segunda-feira, 12 de fevereiro de 2007

Brasília - second and third impressions


Brasília is the most cosmopolitan city in the country. It was built back in the 50’s and people all over the country came here to do the heavy work. ‘Someone always has to do the heavy work’. The majority of these builders were from the Northeast, poor people who saw an opportunity. But, obviously, they haven’t become rich, and they do not live in the buildings that they built. They live in the outskirts, the cities around which are called Cidades Satélites – the Satellite cities.
But right after the city was partially built, the powerful people had to come, to rule the country, and they have come from everywhere, and still come from everywhere. It is a city with an enormous amount of public contests, which keeps drawing people from south to north of the country, in order to work in the public sector.
Being the capital means it is also where the foreign embassies are found and these not only bring people from throughout Brazil, but from all over the world as well. Cool people speaking Portuguese in many different types of accents are easily found.

A city with no accent and no corners.
There are lots of reasons why the city doesn’t have its own accent yet, considering its continuous immigration.
All the ‘brasilienses’ say that the city has no corners, and the outsiders keep asking themselves why, even after coming here they still can’t understand why. It is just because the dwellers do not use the word ‘corner’, because there are lots of streets which divide the blocks that there are no names, they just call these streets as commercial street of block such and such….

I’m getting bored with myself….let’s get higher!

Parties in the capital are basically awful. I have lived in the city for four long years during my high school period, when I was not a party boy. I wasn’t used to going out to any party but the school ones. So as a ‘grown up’, I came back to the city again (it has been a year) and told myself that now was the time to party, and there I went. What can I say: great distances, lots of money on taxis, beautiful people almost non-existent, ditto for good music ... What an impression!
And here I am again, spending about a month in my old city. What was I suppose to do? Go out for the parties? Or wait? Wait? For what? What is there to wait for? I decided to wait until I had that feeling, that feeling of that’s the party to go, and you never know exactly why you feel that. No worries, you will find out later. One day, the feeling came to me. It took about two weeks for me to decide to go out. A genuine party boy waiting … waiting to go out.
I went by myself. I had to choose a place close by (if that exists in Brasília) in order to be able to go by taxi. I took the taxi, which left me in front of a very, very random place…whores, transvestites, strange-looking boys. And there I was asking information from prostitutes. I walked around and around, smoked a little funny cigarette during the uncertain walking period, until I finally found the place. Some police officers were leaving and a guy was grabbing the joint that he had hidden by the entrance. Lucky me who arrived quite late, otherwise I would have had to experience another body search in my life. I talked to him about the situation, and realized he had the same piercing as me, a long metal bar with two balls in the normal ear hole. I showed him mine and he showed me a poster-flyer on the wall, pointed to his photo and said that that was his ‘brand’ for quite long time, he was the dj,.
The party is called ‘underground’ and the place is ‘Espaço Galleria’ at Conic, a place with amazing decorations, a new discovery in every corner of the club, an open space where we can have some throwing-things, like little bags rolled on a paper with something very interesting inside from one side, and another little bag rolled on a paper with money on the other side, dealers around. You better meet someone who has got the right contact...It was probably a Friday, the place was empty, but the music was stunning.
A real V.I.P does not pay for being so.
I went to buy the ticket for the Fat Boy Slim concert, which took place last Sunday in Brasília. Got two simple tickets ( 40R$ each ) to enjoy, as the humble being that I am, together with the rest of the crowd. However the guy made a mistake and gave me two V.I.P tickets ( 140 R$ each ). A real V.I.P never pays for being so.
Frank Sinatra. V.I.P area.
The V.I.P ticket allowed me to go to a party on Saturday evening for those who had bought the vip ticket, which included free booze during the concert on Sunday. So there I went, even though I did not really want to go on Sat. – I’m not really fond of rich people’s party – but there I went! I haven’t seen so many good-looking people for quite long time… remember Vegas? It didn’t look like Brasília at all (and I hope they do not read this). I took a great friend and we enjoyed the party a lot, and the concert with the free drinks even more!
Brasília carries on…

I am running away from here during the Carnival days, but not too far… heading to Pirenópolis.

Nenhum comentário: