segunda-feira, 5 de março de 2007

Sartre - Camus - Tolstói - Borges

Nausea
The first and only book of Jean-Paul Sartre I read. For some random reasons some French authors, like Sartre (in English) and Camus (in Portuguese), started showing up on my hands, accidentally. It definitely gives you a nausea sensation as you carry on reading it, mainly in the parts that he describes the sensation of a Nausea, when he is in any ordinary random situation, it can be everywhere, on any corner of the city, or in the most common bar, or when you are by the most uninteresting person, it will come, and you will not know how to get rid of that Nausea.
I did not enjoy the reading of the book since the very beginning, it took me almost a hundred pages to start finding out that this book of Sartre is not a simple diary. My feeling in the beginning was that I could have written a diary like that one, so why in hell is this man so known? I confess, I was too stuck up, however I recovered myself, although I am not a big fan yes.
Do not miss the parts when he describes the word of the title. The Nausea feeling does not appear very often in it.

Ana Karênina
I fell in love with Tolstói since the very first pages. The reason that I bought these two tick books in a very beautiful brochure was because his was mentioned in another book that I was reading (L’insostenibile leggereza dell’essere – Milan Kundera – Czech writer), and this book is sucha a beautiful one that I got so curious about Ana Karênina, and besides loving Tolstói, I could find so many similarities on the two books, and happily could understand why Tolstói was mentioned by Kundera.
On the book of Kundera it is more obvious what he wants to say, he tries to explain that it is impossible to deny the love to more than one person, the different sorts of love that all human being have to be allowed to feel, the sexual attraction by other women does not mean the loss of the sexual attraction by his beloved wife.
On the other hand, the character of Tolstói is already a bit older, and there is no more sexual attraction by his wife, but the love is still there.
The point is that every ‘unusual’ literature from cultures that we are not used to read, always appeals to us. Russian in this case, I have already enjoyed a lot some Japanese romances, not to say the Middle East, China, Thailand, East Europe and so on…open your mind and let it flow.

French Literature
In French, not necessarily by a French author.
I have been reading a couple of books in the French language, because of the obvious reason of learning the language, and I have been understanding half of them. In the beginning it was 30 %, that is why I keep reading, and that is why reading in a foreigner language gives me such a pleasure, because of the two feelings of learning a language and the book itself.
The books are: Cholera (a text in it of Sénèque – De la colère - gave me some inspiration to write a poem, a bad one by the way, with the same name), Outrage aux moeur et autres nouvelles ( a book of four short texts that I could not understand any ), Jorge Luis Borges – Fictions -, I can understand most of his short texts, but as I have never been very fond of him, I should keep on reading him in his own language. And finally the Gammaire Expliquée du Français, wonderful reading and 100% understood.

The Plague – A Peste
First difficulty that I faced to write about this book was the name, as it has been read in Portuguese. Google helped me.
And as I begin it, I start finding out that the best writer is the one who describes well. Kafka, Tolstói, George Orwel, and finally Nausea! Albert Camus describes perfectly the start of a plague in a society that has to be closed from all the outsiders. And he writes as it happens, as it was a diary, and that is what I did not know how to appreciate in Nausea of Sartre, just because he was writing down the date and periode of the day as the things were happening and he was writing. In ‘The Plague’ Camus does the same but without writing the time at the top of the chapter. That is just a detail that does not really matter, as what matter is the writing itself.
He depicts the whole process, since the beginning of a plague in a small city, with all the different psychological matters that each person faces, the ones who love, the ones who do not love, the ones who had come there just for a week of a work…Worth reading for those who wants to know how a government for the people has to be tough in some risky cases, and the ones who enjoy romances. romances?

Nenhum comentário: